Monday, January 30, 2012

Looking for an Alternative to Twilight?


Today, I'm delighted to introduce you to my friend Heather Burch. Isn't that cover incredible? It's for her debut YA novel, HalflingsI got to know her through first time orientation for the ACFW conference last year. Then I got to spend time with her at the conference. I was delighted to win a basket she donated for the silent auction. And part of that is the copy of her book which is winging its way to my house as I type. I could wait to post this interview until I've read the book, but her book is available now, so wanted to introduce you to her as soon as I could!

Thanks Cara for asking me to stop by and answer a few questions.

Heather, Halflings is your debut novel. How did you come up with the idea for this book?


It had been in the back of my mind for a long time. I wanted to someday write a story about teenagers saving the world. I'm also an X-Men fan so the idea of teens with supernatural abilities was too much to resist. One day I was working on a completely different project and the entire multi-book story arc started forming. I fell in love with the characters right away. They took over my thoughts and very quickly I forgot about the other project and gave Halflings my full attention.

I love it when characters become so real to me they take over my thoughts! This book is targeted at the YA audience. What draws you to write for this group of readers?



My husband and I've worked with teens most of our lives. They are a dynamic group of people. I didn't start out writing for teens ... I should have ... but I didn't. Once the Halflings idea began to come together and I started writing it, it was like I'd found my true identity as an author. I love writing for young adults. Honestly, I don't really see myself in any other market for a very long time. :)

I've learned God often has something to teach me through writing a book. What did you learn (if anything) in writing Halflings?


Trust. I'm a "get it done" kind of person. But, Halflings has God's handprint on it. He's told me when to step back and when to move forward and He's accomplished things I could never do in my own strength. He's opened doors I wouldn't be able to. It's been a very cool journey watching Him work.

I love hearing stories like yours. I can't share my publishing journey without mentioning God just about every sentence. When He directs the journey is incredible! Tell us a little more about the story. What should readers expect when they pick up your book?


Nikki, the girl who has never had a boyfriend, suddenly finds herself attracted to two very different and very unusual boys. In the midst of trying to keep her alive and safe from the hell-hounds hunting her, they discover she's tied to a sadistic plot. As far as what to expect ... hmm ... some nail-biting. As I said, I'm an action movie junkie, so I wanted Halflings to be a high octane thrill ride blended with a little romance. The kind of story that doesn't let you pause to breathe, but you might pause to sigh.

I can't wait to read this story, though I'm pretty certain my 11 y.o. will grab the book the moment it hits our mailbox! Anything else you'd like readers to know about you or the book?

I've reached a shopping agreement with a producer in Hollywood who is looking to partner on a Halflings project. That's super exciting for me. To think of the possibility of my little orphan angels on the big screen? It's pretty surreal. Movie deals are few and far between these days, but I hope Halflings makes it!

Heather, that is super exciting! Woot! What's next for you?
Book 2 in the Halflings Series is titled Guardian and is scheduled for release in September.
11:15 The Making of a Halfling is a FREE ebook prequel. It's available just about everywhere! (And has some really fun illustrations.) I'm working on another short story. This one happens right after book one. (I don't have a release date yet.) Book 3 will probably release sometime next spring.
And then ... I'm going to Disney World!

I think you've earned a trip to Disney World. My goodness, that's a lot of writing! How can readers connect with you?


halflings.ning.com
heatherburchbooks.com
twitter heatherburch
facebook heather burch books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...